PENETRON growing crystal technology increases the durability, strength, overall performance and life of concrete.
Our waterproofing materials combine high quality cements, special quartz sand and active ingredients that provide the most efficient system for permanent reduction of permeability and watertightness of concrete.
How does it work
Concrete is basically a hard, porous sponge that is susceptible to cracking at many stages in its life, making it easier for water to penetrate pores, micro cracks, and capillary pathways. Water can cause a wide range of problems that damage concrete and reinforcing steel. This can dramatically affect the strength, durability and durability of concrete.
PENETRON products are specifically formulated to produce crystals that reduce permeability or catalyze concrete components that result in the development of needle crystals that reduce the porosity of concrete.
General example of system operation:
- PENETRON active substances penetrate the cracks, micro cracks and capillary pathways of concrete through osmosis, the Brown effect and the reaction of dry particles.
- The active ingredients react in cement minerals in the form of insoluble crystals that fill cracks, pores up to 500 microns wide.
- Crystal growth takes place deep within the concrete structure and over 1 meter from the application site.
- The protected concrete structure does not leak water molecules and is resistant to a wide range of chemicals that can no longer flow into the concrete, however, air can still flow, allowing the concrete to breathe, preventing moisture from accumulating on the concrete surface.
- In the absence of further moisture, the PENETRON components lie dormant. If the moisture reappears at any time, the sealing process automatically resumes and penetrates the concrete.
1 Once activated, the coarse-grained elongated crystals and fine-grained needle-like crystals can be seen lining a crack. These crystals will completely fill up the crack, which waterproofs the concrete and lowers permeability.
2 The same crack (taken by BEI) is being sealed by the formation of the PENETRON crystals.
3 A close-up shot clearly showing the elongated crystals and fine needle-like crystals in the crack.
4 A 10,000x magnification showing the development of permeability-reducing crystals.
Uses and advantages
TYPICAL USE OF PENETRON PRODUCTS
PENETRON products are used to treat concrete or prefabricated structures that require reduced permeability, durable waterproofing and protection, even under high hydrostatic conditions, and subject to potential water or chemical attack. It is applied to the positive side (exposed to water) or the negative side and meets all requirements for waterproofing.
PENETRON has been used in numerous projects around the world, including:
- Drinking water tanks and aquariums
- Sewage and water treatment tanks
- Tunnels and traffic structures
- Foundations and basements
- Elevator windows and underground vaults
- Industrial facilities
- Car parks
- Foundation slabs, perimeter walls and concrete roof structures
- Many other projects that required increased durability and long lasting protection
ADVANTAGES OF PENETRON ADMIX
- A simple solution that integrates PENETRON protection from scratch
- Available in water-soluble bags for easier quality control and easy dosing
- It contains a marker that identifies the amount of admixture in concrete at each stage of use
- It significantly shortens construction time
- Added at the time of concrete preparation is not subject to climatic conditions
BENEFITS OF PENETRON
Unlike membrane systems, PENETRON becomes an integral part of concrete. By reducing the permeability of concrete, it increases durability, prevents the penetration of water and other agents.
Basic PENETRON advantages:
- It penetrates deep: over 1 meter into the concrete structure; closes capillary pathways and cracks up to 500 microns wide
- Component: Becomes an integral part of concrete and reduces permeability; waterproofing, chemical resistance and other improved properties of concrete remain intact even after damage to the surface
- Durability: When concrete is processed, PENETRON crystals remain active and are part of life for life
- Increased durability: significantly reduces permeability, allowing concrete to resist chemical attack and providing a wide range of protection against freeze and thaw cycles, corrosion, aggressive groundwater, seawater, carbonate, chloride, sulfate and nitrate
- Increased strength: Resistant to mechanical damage, increases the compressive strength of concrete
- Economical: more efficient and less expensive than PVC, TPO and bentonite membranes, pore blockers and coatings
- Cost effective: does not require protection during backfill, installation of reinforcement or other common procedures, can be applied on wet and fresh concrete
- Versatile: can be applied to new or old concrete as a coating on the positive or negative side, as a dry spread on horizontal surfaces or as an adjunct to fresh concrete
- Safe: non-toxic, NSF61, EU and EPA certified for use in contact with drinking water (certified in Croatia)
- Experience and Support: It is sold through a trained and authorized network of distributors worldwide